The #LSU Greek Amphitheater with the old reflecting pool in the background. The pool was designed by Dean Francis James Broussard and contained numerous statues. ROTC cadets would dump their officers in the pool after the last parade of the year. Reportedly, the reflecting pool was filled in 1960 to cut down on mosquitos.
LSU began its existence as a military institution. In 1853, the Louisiana General Assembly established the Seminary of Learning of the State of Louisiana near Pineville, Louisiana. The institution opened Jan 2, 1860 with Col. William Tecumseh Sherman as superintendent. The seminary was destroyed by a fire on Oct 15, 1869. On Nov 1, 1869, the institution resumed its exercises in Baton Rouge. In 1870, the name of the institution was changed to Louisiana State University.