Cape Mendocino Lighthouse at Shelter Cove This lighthouse was originally built on a cliff on Cape Mendocino, the westernmost point in California in 1868. The 43 foot tower was 422 feet above sea level. The station was automated in 1951. The light was moved to a nearby pole and the Fresnel lens to Ferndale where it can be seen today at the fairgrounds. Only the tower remained until 1998.