The Manchester Tiara was made by Cartier, Paris, in 1903 to the order of Consuelo, Dowager Duchess of Manchester. Cartier’s records note that she supplied over a thousand brilliant-cut diamonds and more than 400 rose-cut diamonds, while Cartier supplied further rose-cut diamonds and the paste stones which make up the scrolls at the end of each side. Photo taken by Kalin Kalpachev.
Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna's jewels for the 1903 Court Ball. Briolette diamond aigrettes, which Cartier set in a tiara in 1908 (see image 1), and an emerald necklace (2 & 3) adorned her headdress (7). On her bosom, she wore an emerald brooch (4) that once belonged to Catherine the Great. Below this was pinned a large sapphire that became the central stone of a Cartier tiara commissioned in 1909 (6). A 1913 portrait by Boris Kustodiev shows her wearing this sapphire and diamond diadem (5).