Imperial Crown of Brazil The Imperial Crown of Brazil was created for Dom Pedro II in 1841 for his coronation. It is made of gold and contains 639 diamonds and 77 pearls. The crown is made up of eight half arches, topped with a jewelled cross. In 1889, Brazil abolished it’s monarchy, but unusually the crown jewels were kept safe. They now belong to the Brazilian State and are on display at the Imperial Museum of Brazil.
On August 24, 1572, King Charles IV of France, under the influence of his mother, Catherine de Medici, ordered the assassination of Huguenot leaders in Paris. In what became known as the Saint Bartholomew’s Day Massacre, thousands of French Huguenots were killed in just a few days.